Condos are traditionally small compared to houses, although you can find condos in NDG that can offer ample space. But if you are an avid reader and you live in a cramped condo unit, don’t fret. There are possible solutions.
Of course, we can easily solve this problem by just going with eBooks and an eBook reader. You can compile a collection of more than 10,000 books and not worry about where to put them all. Finding these eBooks isn’t even difficult online, and plenty of these books can be obtained for free.
But there’s something about the physical nature of a real book that appeals to a book lover. That’s why some condominium buildings feature their own library where their residents can unplug and enjoy a nice book. For book lovers, it’s a much better perk than having a gym or a sauna.
However, some people like us just want to have our own books inside our own home, even if that home is a tad small like a condo. It’s doable, and perhaps you should consider the following helpful tips:
- Get a grand bookshelf. This means going for a huge bookshelf that goes from the floor to the ceiling and also wide enough to use up the whole span of a wall. Since you’re getting a bookshelf, you may as well use up every little space available by covering an entire wall with it. You may need to get a ladder to access the books in the upper levels, but this adds a bit of visual charm to your condo.
- Use a bookshelf to divide sections of your condo. Often the dining space and the living space flow into each other, which makes sense. It keeps you from feeling claustrophobic and you can go from one spot to another easily enough. But some people like the idea of a section wall to divide the two spaces, and a bookshelf can work for this function very well. With two sides of the bookshelf filled with books and other types of reading material, you’ll have something to read whether you’re lounging on your couch or waiting for your coffee or your food in the kitchen.
- If you’re using a room in your condo as your office, it makes sense if you go ahead and use it as you library room too. Place your books there so that it provides a nice work vibe to get you in the mood to work. When you need to take a break, you can just stay on the office couch and read for a few minutes to relieve your stress. If you do have clients drop by, having plenty of real books around you can also impress them.
- Make sure you have ample lighting so you can see the titles easily. It helps to have the bookshelves on the opposite side of a window, so natural light can show you what books you have right away. You can also have plenty lamps around your reading areas and you can also raise the lamps by putting them on a stack of books.
- It’s great if you think about reading when you buy your couch. It should be extremely comfy, and it should allow you to relax and lie back as you lose yourself to the pleasure of your book pages. Make sure the light is bright enough, as you can hurt your eyes when you read with insufficient light.
- You should also have a small bookshelf right in your bedroom if you like to read right before you fall asleep. Pick a few of your favorites instead of new books, so that you won’t be tempted to stay up late to read the next chapter.
So who says a library is obsolete? Real books will always be a pleasure for those who prefer the smell of paper and leather bond volumes. It’s hard to explain to someone who isn’t a book lover, but to another book lover there’s no reason to explain either.